In the midst of the controversy surrounding Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s decision to step away from their royal duties, Queen Elizabeth II has chosen Prince William to take on an important role of being the Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. Could this be a sign that there are exciting times ahead for the Duke of Cambridge?
According to the announcement that the Kensington Palace shared on social media, as the newly installed official, Prince William will represent Her Royal Highness in church duties and engagements. Also, it is said that the Queen chooses the next Lord High Commissioner on orders from the Prime Minister.
The position is also responsible for the relationship between the State and the Church and the appointment is based on his/her contribution to society and merit. The role is usually given to a Scottish but members of the royal family had previously held the spot.
Other members of the family who were previously appointed were Princess Anne, Prince Charles, Prince Edward, and Prince Andrew. In 1952, the monarch vowed to continue appointing deserving individuals to the position of Lord High Commissioner every year.
This comes on the heels of the Duke and the Duchess of Sussex’s announcement that shocked not just the public but the royal family as well.
According to the grapevine, even Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth II had no idea that the controversial couple had plans of backing out from being working royals.
In a joint statement, Meghan and Prince Harry also said that they will be dividing their time between North America and the United Kingdom, thereby bringing truth to long-running rumors about their plans as a family. On top of the bombshells, they also aim to become financially independent from the influential clan.
The Sussexes said they will pay the $3-million cost of renovation for their Frogmore Cottage, which came from the sovereign funds.
While everyone was scrambling to know tidbits of the decision, Kate Middleton and Prince William, both of which were speculated to have a rift with Meghan and Prince Harry respectively, continued attending to their royal engagements.
After a summit among the royal family on Jan. 13, the monarch finally released a statement about the matter, saying the entire clan supports and understands Prince Harry and Meghan’s decision. Days later, the Queen said she and the couple already had an agreement.